Maryvale Homestead / St Alban's Anglican Church

Maryvale / Strathmillar

John Cameron was granted the depasturing licence for Miller's valley, Darling Downs, on 18th October, 1843.
It was called Maryvale or Strathmillar when James Hay transferred it to Arnold Wienholt, on 2nd August, 1848.
This is the site of the old homestead, where the first church services were held, and the first school classes were also taught from the 21st April, 1913, until 7th June, 1913.
This plaque was affixed here by the Queensland Women's Historical Association on Easter Eve, 13th April, 1963.

Maryvale Station

This church is built on the site of the early Maryvale homestead. Maryvale homestead was completed by the late 1850s, mostly of pit-sawn and hand-planed red cedar. It was a grand dwelling for Arnold Wienholt and later for his managers, the Hills, for many years.
In the 1890s it was the centre of a very privileged social circle and had a garden which must have looked very much like an English country garden... poppies, cornflowers, petunias, stocks etc.
The Maryvale Gazette, a handwritten, monthly literary magazine originating on the station, was circulated to privileged people.
Arnold Wienholt purchased the property in 1849 and named it Maryvale. It was initially selected in about 1840. Wienholt was born in South Wales and was a 'gentleman' who continued his upper-class approach to life throughout hus days at Maryvale. He was state member for Warwick from 1863 to 1867. He initiated the township of Maryvale by urging the Colonial Secretary to establish a town reserve there in 1863. The first licence for the Maryvale Hotel was granted in 1862 to Charles Creighton.
In 1852 the station ran about 7000 sheep all of which had to be washed before shearing. Later in the century, the station progressively moved away from sheep to beef cattle.
Weinholt developed Maryvale into one of the finest Clydesdale horse studs in Australia.
Wire was gradually used from 1870 to fence paddocks, removing the need for shepherds.
By 1887, significant subdivision of Gladfield had occurred. Maryvale was purchased by the government in 1908. Land and stock were sold off between 1908 and 1916.
After the breakup of the Maryvale Station following 1908, the homestead was used for a variety of community purposes: church services, lodging, school and community centre. It was sold in 1913 and dismantled in 1914. Some of the material was later used to build a house at Tregony.
The Anglican church purchased the land in 1921 and built St Alban's church in 1925.

Other developments at Maryvale were: