The town and district was formerly part of Colinton station and
was named in 1910 after the Moore family who owned Colinton. The town
site was unofficially named Stanley Gate after the gate which marked
the entrance to the Stanley run. Surveyor F.M. Waraker laid out the town
of Moore, the plan of which was lodged in the Survey office on
29th November, 1911.
In the early years of its existence the town was referred to as Mooretown
but officially it has always been Moore. The Moore receiving office opened
in March, 1903 and became a post office in September, 1905. The Yimbun-Linville
section of the Brisbane Valley Branch railway (27 kilometres), on which
Moore was situated was opened on 22 November, 1910, and the Moore railway
station opened on the same day.